The Art and Where to Find It
Chapel on the Bridge at Rotherham
Artist: Samuel Hieronymus Grimm
Location: Visitor Centre, Bridgegate
A piece depicting Rotherham's famous chapel on the bridge by 18th century Swiss topographical artist, Samuel Hieronymus Grimm. The Chapel of Our Lady on Rotherham Bridge is one of a handful of surviving Bridge Chantries. Standing at the middle of the medieval bridge that served as the main road into the town it was built in 1483 with money from local people. It is possible that much of the cost came from Thomas Rotherham. The Chapel has had a varied history. It became part of the town's defences in May 1643 when Royalist troops encamped across the river tried to storm the bridge at great cost. It has also served as the town jail, was rented out as a dwelling and used as a tobacconists. With a regular celebration of Holy Communion it is an active element in the work of Rotherham Minister. The artwork is part of The Gott Collection, assembled in the 19th Century by John Gott, Vicar of Leeds and later Bishop of Truro, and his father William. It is arguably the finest surviving collection in the region, with over 200 Yorkshire villages, towns and cities depicted within its pages. n.d. The Hepworth Wakefield, The Gott Collection, Vol. 2, page 30.